Monday, December 6, 2010

Too long since my last Blog

Well it's been quite some time since I have blogged, but I really didn't think I had anything to write about.
In September my little sister got married and I got to wear a very pretty dress, that I actually had to have altered even though I only bought it the month before, that felt GOOD. I got so many comments from people that day and I felt very pretty and confident. Congratulations again Cassie and Farzan.
November was my grandfathers 90th birthday and we went out for dinner at the Waring house. It felt wonderful to get dressed up in nice clothes (that fit). I was getting ego boosting compliments left right and center. Something I am definitely not used to, but am beginning to really enjoy..lol
In October I went to NY for my One year post-op check up (even though my one year was actually in August, I just had too much going on at the time). The nurses were very pleased with my progress so far, and told me to keep up the good work.
Its hard to believe that I used to weigh 485 pounds and now i'm only 262...that's 223 pounds gone forever!! That is a whole overweight person!! I know I still have a ways to go, but I am so motivated, I know I can do this.
When I started this journey my BMI was a whopping 75.95....now it is 41.03...that is a HUGE drop. Over 40 is considered Morbidly Obese, but I am sooo close to being under 40 I can almost taste it.
They told me at my appointment that the surgeons goal for me is 215, so I only have 47 pounds to go to meet that goal. I only have 63 pounds to meet my own personal goal of 199!! ONLY 63 pounds...I never thought that day would come and before I know it, it will be here.
One of the gifts I have promised myself, is to go horseback riding when I hit 250, even that goal will be here soon.
It is amazing how much ones life can change in the span of a year, and having this surgery is the reason for all these changes. If I had of chose not to have the surgery and continue on the path I was on, i would either be bed ridden or dead by now. My future was not looking good at all, and now my future is looking amazing.
I enjoy going out again, I have some of my confidence back, I no longer feel the need to stand in a corner and try to be unnoticed. I want people to see me and see how much I have changed. I won't lie, I still deal with the anxiety and agoraphobia, but I am pushing myself to try and get past those issues.
I recently found out that my father has Cancer. He was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma and has just started Chemotherapy. This is definitely a hard time for me as well as my entire family. When I first found out I was lost and immediately turned to food, I wanted pizza, chips, burgers, all those things that used to comfort me and make me feel better in the past....but you know?? They DON'T make me feel better anymore, quite the opposite actually. When I was eating the food I would feel good or about 5 minutes and then quilt would hit big time. I would think to myself "you went through surgery to change your life, and look at what you are doing, you are throwing away all your hard work, just because you are in a difficult situation". I guess the problem was, even though I had surgery, I didn't learn how to deal with my emotional eating. I realized that this is what I was doing, and reached out to some fellow loser friends and they have helped me tremendously. I also got in contact with the Canadian Cancer Society and have been set up with a peer support person. Now I have someone to talk to on a regular basis who is also caring for a father going through Chemotherapy and it makes things so much easier to share with someone who knows what you are talking about and has some of the same feelings and thoughts that I have....So don't be afraid to ask for help, everyone needs it at some point and I think people are just too proud to ask.
So, I think with my little emotional binge and the stress of what is going on in my life, I have hit a little stall in my weight loss. I am not too concerned about it, its normal and I know that it will pass and I will be back on track in no time.



I do have 2 recipes to share with you

Low Carb Sugar Free Peanut butter Cheesecake

2 packages of 8 ounce fat free cream cheese
1/2 cup of vanilla sugarfree syrup
3/8 teaspoon of Splenda
1/2 cup of low fat low sugar peanut butter
6 eggs
pinch of salt
3/4 cup of low carb sugar free dark chocolate (for the topping)
~preheat oven at 350 degrees and spray a glass pie dish with olive oil spray
~Combine all ingredients except chocolate in a blender and blend until smooth. Poor into pie dish and bake at 350 degree for 50 minutes.
~Melt the chocolate in the microwave and spread over the pie while it is still warm. Chill and enjoy!

Serves 8....about 4.5 grams of carbs per serving

Flax Blueberry Muffins

How simple is that?? and they are delicious.

Facts about Flax
  • Lowered blood cholesterol levels
  • Lowered high blood pressure
  • Increased energy, vitality, and stamina
  • Increased sense of calmness under stress
  • Reduced threat of blood clots
  • Protection against cancers, particularly hormone sensitive cancers such as breast and prostate
  • Better regulation of blood sugar levels
  • Eases inflammatory tissue conditions, including arthritis
  • Alleviation of dry skin, eczema and psoriasis
  • Enhanced immune system
  • Increased metabolic rate with a positive impact on weight management
  • Helps with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Natural laxative
  • And the list goes on
Give it a try, what have you got to lose??

1 comment:

  1. I must say that Melissa has done beyond well since surgery. it took a lot for her to go through with the surgery. I think the hardest part for me was waiting with her before they took her away. I knew she was nervous and so was I. I think I wore a trail on the floor in the waiting room and drank way to much coffee. at least I had the company of her mom Debbie and her step dad Bruce. I think if i was alone I would have been a wreck.... but that is in the past and Melissa is a new person. and she looks awesome. and i love her very much. all the recipes she has added are all great!!!! keep up the great work babe. I love you

    ReplyDelete